Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf

History

The Heinrich Heine University Düsseldorf is situated in the south of the city on a large and pleasant campus site. It was founded initially as a Medical Academy in 1907 at the same time as the Municipal Hospital and together they constituted the most modern hospital complex of Imperial Germany. Since the Academy did not have university status, it was allowed to instruct medical trainees but not students. The academy itself and the citizens of Düsseldorf launched several initiatives to change the status and in 1923 they finally succeeded. A university constitution providing the right to train students was passed, the study of dental medicine was subsequently incorporated, and since 1935 doctoral degrees can be awarded. After the Second World War, the federal state of North Rhine-Westphalia and the City of Düsseldorf signed a contract stating that the federal state was to be responsible for the Medical Academy, while the hospitals were to remain municipally owned. In November 1965, the Medical Academy became the University of Düsseldorf, and in January 1966, the University established the Faculty of Arts and Natural Sciences in addition to the Faculty of Medicine. Since then the University has grown continuously both in terms of student population and subject diversity. Today approx. 20.000 students can choose from a large range of disciplines, now also including economics, law, social sciences and humanities.

In December 1988 the academic senate decided to rename the University the Heinrich Heine University in commemoration of one of the city's most renowned sons, the Romantic poet and political writer Heinrich Heine whose work transcended national borders in the 19th century. Today the Heinrich Heine University has an outstanding academic reputation despite its fairly recent foundation. Although faced with nation-wide cuts in public university funding, the University of Düsseldorf has continued to thrive. The university's international profile results from lively exchange programmes both on student and staff level with partner universities in regions as diverse as California and Beijing, Reading and Naples.

International Office

The International Office is responsible for the enrolment of international students after the admission through the board.

Monika Lent-Öztürk
Building: 21.02 Floor/room: 01.72
Phone: +49 211 81-10726
undefinedeuropeanstudies(at)hhu.de
Office hours: Tuesdays 11-13 am or by appointment
undefinedWebsite

Responsible for the content: E-MailDekan der Philosophischen Fakultät