Please read carefully about the special requirements for admission and the characteristics of this programme described in the study programme before you decide to apply.
This programme is open to all students meeting the preconditions for admission but has been especially designed for students from the Middle East. Therefore we expect that most of our students come from this region.
Please send your questions regarding the application to Dr. Guido Quetsch, Executive Manager of the Master programme:
- The master programme in European Studies is offered to students with a Bachelor’s degree (above average or “with distinction” in social sciences, law, economics, history or cultural studies).
- Before starting the one-year programme in European Studies applicants must have completed four years of university studies since a German master degree requires at least five years of studies. Thereby, the four years need to be the standard period of studies.
- Applicants must have successfully completed courses in the field of European Studies (above average or “with distinction”) equivalent to a one-year study programme (60 credit points according to the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System, ECTS).
- Good knowledge of English language is required (Level B2 of Common European Framework of Reference for Languages).
- Basic communication skills in German are not required but highly recommended.
The application process starts in summer. The deadline for submitting the application is 15 July. For your formal application please submit the following documents in English:
- Cover letter with contact details
- Certified copy of your high school degree
- Certified copy of your bachelor’s degree
- Transcript of records
- Curriculum Vitae
- Copy of your passport
- Language certificate for English language (Level B2 / Common European Framework for Reference for Languages): We accept English tests covering all four academic skills (reading, listening, writing, and speaking):
- IELTS (academic) minimum 6.0, including at least 6.0 in section “writing”
- TOEFL iBt with 75 points minimum
- We do not accept TOEIC
No language test is required for native English speakers.
Incomplete files will immediately be excluded from the application procedure.
Please send all your documents in hard copy to:
Dr. Guido Quetsch
Heinrich Heine University
Institute of Social Sciences/European Studies
40225 Düsseldorf, Germany
Please be aware that a personal interview is part of the application process. After examining the documents and verifying the qualification, the applicant will be informed about the date of the interview. Shortly after the interview, the candidate will receive a definite response.